Losing weight with a thyroid problem can be truly difficult and seem impossible if you don’t know the right steps to take. I have struggled with hypothyroidism for over 10 years and battled to keep my weight down. Today I want to share some simple tips for how to lose weight with hypothyroidism naturally. These aren’t magic pills because there is no magic pill when it comes to weight loss with an underactive thyroid. These are simple to follow steps that can help your own body heal itself and start losing weight. A healthy body=weight loss. I grew up thinking that weight loss would lead to a healthy body when in fact it is quite the opposite. Help your body heal and you will achieve the weight loss you desire.
How To Lose Weight With Hypothyroidism Naturally
This post contains affiliate links. See my disclosure here.
- Get plenty of sleep to help with thyroid problems. Many of us with hypothyroidism don’t sleep enough. Our circadian rhythm is meant to help us sleep through the night and get good REM sleep and have energy and feel amazing throughout the day. However, if you have a thyroid disorder, your circadian rhythm may be out of whack and causing you to lose sleep which is when your body repairs and the weight loss magic can happen. You should be getting to bed by 10pm and waking up when the sun rises. Be sure to do your workouts and any activities before 2pm to allow your body time to unwind before bed time. Going to the gym after work gets your body ramped up too late and messes up your sleep cycle.
- Low impact workouts help with with hypothyroid weight loss. We’ve all been told to workout harder to get results, but this isn’t necessarily true for the hypothyroid sufferer. In a lot of cases if you have hypothyroidism, you may also have adrenal fatigue. Exercise is a stress to your body and can cause worse problems with these conditions if not done correctly. Everyone needs to exercise and move their body, but if you have hypothyroidism, you should keep your heart rate down by doing resistance training at a slow pace or walking at a slow pace. This will keep the stress response down and help you lose weight with hypothyroidism.
- Cut back on carbs and increase dietary fat to help your body heal from hypothyroidism. Dietary fat helps the body heal itself which makes following a keto diet the easiest and for some the only way to lose weight with hypothyroidism. Sugar and carbs cause stress responses in your body and cause the adrenals to overwork which affects your thyroid. So higher fat and lower carbs is the way to correct this. However, you want to follow the right keto diet that takes your body and needs into consideration. Also, anyone who suffers with hypothyroidism should cut carbs back slowly over a month to not put stress on the body. Going into a strict keto diet all at once will send your body the distress signal and make it hard to lose weight. The best keto diet is one created for women to help heal their hormones including the thyroid. This program is so thorough in helping you heal your body. There are 2 parts to it. The first explains everything you need to know about following a keto diet to lose weight. The second part explains all about healing your body, getting your thyroid and other hormones in check and so much more. I felt better within days of starting this keto diet and I have been suffering with thyroid problems for over 10 years. My body feels lighter, my bloated belly has gone down drastically, my pants are looser, and my aches and pains are gone. The other thing to keep in mind with a keto diet is that it is going to help your body repair, but it will take a little time. You can’t possibly lose weight when your body isn’t functioning correctly. Give it a little while to help your body heal before starting to watch the scale.
- Vitamin and mineral supplements to support your thyroid and body. Many people suffering with hypothyroidism are lacking essential nutrients. Your keto diet will help with this, but a few common deficiencies are vitamin D, B vitamins, and iodine. Getting out in the sun to get your vitamin D is best. Sit outside with your skin exposed for at least a few minutes each day. We spend all day inside working in front of a computer and don’t get enough sun even if we live somewhere sunny. I live in New Mexico where it’s sunny most days and I am vitamin D deficient. I’ve been making an effort to get outside more. A kelp supplement will help your body get iodine and then it can use selenium more efficiently which the thyroid needs. If you have a sensitivity to B vitamin supplements, you should give this one a try. I’m very sensitive to B vitamins and I do so well with these. I was skeptical because I had tried so many that gave me a bad reaction, but I have so much more energy when I take them and no bad side effects. These are even safe for people with interstitial cystitis who usually react to vitamin B6. These will not cause bladder burning! I can attest to that as an IC sufferer myself.
- Help your stomach digest food to help your thyroid. It is common to have low stomach acid if you have hypothyroidism. If you find that your food just sits in your stomach too long or you’re burping or bloated after meals, you may want to try Betaine HCl supplements. There’s no way you can lose weight properly if you aren’t digesting your food so your body can use it.
- Cut out caffeine to calm your adrenals and support your thyroid function. I know no one wants to hear this, but caffeine stresses the adrenal glands and causes everything to go crazy in your body. If you drink caffeine every day, I would recommend taking a week or two to wean yourself off to avoid stressing your body by quitting all at once.
- Reduce your toxic load to reduce stress on your liver and thyroid. We are exposed to tons of toxins every day. Our livers have to work and work to filter this stuff out. These chemicals we’re exposed to create stress in our bodies. Try to reduce some of the chemicals in your life that you have control over like your laundry detergent, soap, deodorant, lotion, cleaning products, etc. Once I did this, my body started feeling better and my skin problems calmed down. You can also drink lemon in warm water in the morning to help your liver out.
So now you know how to help your body deal with hypothyroidism and get it losing those extra pounds. As I said before, the body needs to heal first and then it will naturally start losing the extra body fat. Eliminate as much stress on the body as possible. Be patient. I hope you’ll join me on this keto journey to healing our bodies and being the best versions of ourselves!
Don’t forget to grab your free weight loss tracker!
Other Posts You Might Like